Friday, November 13, 2009

American boy stands up for gay equality

I was quite taken by this story of how a 10 year old boy, Will Phillips, had refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance in his school classroom until the LGBT community has equal rights.

I can see why he sees a contradiction between the wording of the Pledge:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands: one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

and the fact that his gay friends aren't treated equally and aren't free to marry. I think it was great that he had the gumption to speak up and voice his reservations.

I was totally with him, and this is where I start to sound like an old fuddy duddy, I know, until I read that he'd said to his teacher:

"Respectfully.....go and jump off a bridge".

I'm not sure if he actually said that, or whether he was paraphrasing for effect, but I do know that if my 10 year old spoke to an adult like that, she would be in pretty serious trouble. However, if she calmly advanced her case in a respectful manner, I'd be very proud of her.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails