Sunday, November 08, 2009

A couple of minor irritations.....

Thought I'd share with you a couple of things that have, well, I won't say annoyed me, but made me bristle with irritation over the weekend.

The first was brought to my attention by Jennie on Twitter. I do wonder, sometimes, if the numpties at the Daily Fail have a weekly "how do we wind up liberals and feminists?" meeting. The poll they've been running recently is just ridiculously insulting. They are asking "Should female MPs be allowed to employ a cleaner on expenses?" It's even accompanied by a photo of a woman in alice band and marigolds scrubbing the carpet. The clear implication, of course, is that women should do the cleaning themselves, but men shouldn't be expected to get their hands dirty.

Then I watched Have I Got News for You last night. You would think that Kirsty Young would have more sense than to make a joke of this one, but, sadly, no. She read an excerpt from the memoirs of the canoeist who faked his own death, John Darwin. It was pretty cringeworthy stuff, to be honest, coming defiantly under the description of too much information as he recounted, shall we say, the physical aspects of how he took his leave from his wife.

So it may well be up for one of those badly written sex scene awards, but what happened next was interesting. Kirsty basically said "Now have a look at them." The implication of that was clearly that only beautiful people are allowed to seek and obtain sexual fulfilment. The rest of us, the ordinary looking and the ugly, presumably aren't worthy to indulge our libidos. How shallow can you get?

Thank you, dear readers, for letting me get that off my chest. Now I can go and spend the rest of the evening in a serene state of general relaxation - ie I'm going to go and lie on the couch and watch the X Factor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails