Friday, April 23, 2010

It's all #nickcleggsfault

Unfortunately after yesterday's hasty early morning blog posting, circumstances, or more accurately campaigning for Willie Rennie in Dunfermline and West Fife and then being so knackered that I couldn't even move from the sofa to switch on the laptop.

I spent my day mainly squealing with excitement. It seemed like every time we turned a corner in Inverkeithing and Rosyth we saw another Willie Rennie diamond. Not once, anywhere, did I see any posters supporting anyone else. To add to my glee on that front, every so often I checked Twitter and was very amused to see the internet's reaction to the swathe of headlines in the Tory press which all but said that Nick would come round and eat your firstborn if he got anywhere near Downing Street, and that was after the IMF had taken away all your possessions.

Never let it be said that the internet isn't creative and original. At times yesterday the number 1 trending topic was #nickcleggsfault. It's very funny - Nick Clegg being blamed for everything from there being no bank holiday on St George's Day to pepole having stressful meetings at work to having run out of hummous. My contributions centred around Libby in Neighbours being in a bad mood, although I was in hashtag heaven after the debate when I posted this.

The telling thing now about #nickcleggsfault is that I don't recognise the names of very many of the contributors, meaning that this isn't something confined to the usual suspects and that ordinary people are being attracted by it. It grew so popular that even the BBC picked up on it.

And now I am going to have a quiet day working at home because I'm still feeling exhausted from yesterday and that is most definitely #willierenniesfault - but well worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails