Tuesday, May 31, 2011

#F1 Lewis Hamilton apologises on Twitter. So that's all right then.

Oh, wow. Isn't Twitter marvellous? See when you make a total arse of yourself, all you need to do is get on Twitter 24 hours later and say sorry and all will be well with the world.

I'm not sure that's quite how it works, Lewis Hamilton.

The McLaren F1 driver, who has over the years habitually blamed others and never himself when things go wrong, has lied to stewards to gain a place at the end of a race, who has driven recklessly on track and put others in danger ranted at the stewards after Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix. He was hauled before them at the end of the race for a move on Pastor Maldonado which put the Venezuelan out of the race. This is on top of the drive through penalty for a move on Massa at the hairpin.  He told the BBC's Lee Mackenzie that it was a "fricking joke" that the stewards took such an interest in him after every race and suggested, he says in jest, that it was because he was black.

Last night, he apologised on Twitter, over 4 tweets:




I hope he doesn't think that's it. That he's made amends. I would have had a lot more respect for him if he'd said that he'd picked up the phone to Massa and Maldonado and apologised to them in person. That's what a sincere apology, which acknowledged the effects of the behaviour, would have entailed. I don't know if either Maldonado or Massa follows him on Twitter, but I'd love to see an "Aye, right, Lewis" tweet going back from them.

There's also no mention in Lewis's tweets that he accepts that his comments about the stewards, which include driver Alan McNish, were totally out of order. He should have apologised to them in a manner that takes less than 20 seconds with an iPhone to do.

I never believe in writing anybody off permanently. I don't like Lewis Hamilton, as you might have guessed. We have to remember that not everybody with his talent gets the opportunities he has been given. He's been really lucky and as far as I'm concerned he doesn't show enough appreciation of the chances he's had. However, if he started treating other people with courtesy and respect, and was more ready to take responsibility for his behaviour, then I'd be prepared to reconsider my opinion of him. A few words on Twitter is simply not enough - and the fact that he thinks they are vindicates the low regard I have for him.

3 comments:

Neil Monnery said...

Couldn't agree more. Lewis is fast becoming 'thug like' on track and believes that he is entitled to throw one up the inside and if the other driver doesn't jump out of the way then it is their fault for turning in on what is their corner.

It must be getting near the point where McLaren are wondering whether the hassle is worth it?

aiberdeens banana hoodie said...

I wunder if it wud work 4 Nick Clegg and Dave Laws and Chris Huhne ?
Worth a try shirley ?

Keith Legg said...

Thought I'd wait till I saw some of the race on highlights and the interview before commenting.

I actually think that there's two issues here - the interview with Lee Mackenzie and the actions on the track.

On the track, the actions were pretty well unacceptable. I think I heard Martin Brundle make the comment that "you don't try to overtake in the tunnel" or something along those lines - certainly shoving Massa onto the marbles was wrong. As for Maldonado, I think it was a lesser offence but still wrong.

On the interview, his comments were maybe a bit insensitive and I think he actually realised that as soon as he said it because he did follow up with "that was a joke" or something like it.

Hamilton's behaviour is sometimes like a Premiership footballer - something along the lines of Wayne Rooney. Thing is, Rooney has Alex Ferguson to protect him but I don't think that Hamilton does have that in the McLaren team. Is there someone who could come in to McLaren to help out - would he listen to a Schumacher or Coulthard, I wonder? Maybe even Jenson?

I also wonder if there's a bit of frustration creeping in too, with Red Bull getting further & further ahead.

There's no denying his ability, and I think that (as with a stroppy footballer) that's what MacLaren will be looking at. If they think that his ability's being affected then they'll do something about it, but if he manages to produce something in the next few races then they'll carry on as before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails