Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Alesha Dixon quits Strictly for Britain's Got Talent

So, the Glitterball has barely been packed away and already we know that there will be at least one big change on Strictly Come Dancing this year - we'll need a new judge. Alesha Dixon is quitting the show after 3 years to join David Walliams, Amanda Holden and Simon Cowell on the judging panel for Britain's Got Talent.

I'm not going to shed any crocodile tears over this news. I like Alesha and supported her to win, but I've not been impressed with her as a judge. She always overmarks and doesn't have the technical background of the other judges. She has a huge sense of fun, though, and I think she'll be great and much better suited to the randomness of  BGT.

Expect the tabloids to be full of reports of feuding with Amanda. There's nothing the British press seem to like more than a good old catfight. They could never imagine that two professional women could just get on and do their job and not actually care about how much attention they get from Simon Cowell, or whether they get to sit next to him. You mark my words, come the live shows and Amanda's return from maternity leave - or maybe even before, the press will be full of "catfight" type stories. It's all deeply depressing.

In terms of Alesha's replacement on Strictly, however much I'd love to see Arlene Phillips return, I doubt it'll happen, especially as she's busy with So You Think You Can Dance.  For me, it's a no brainer. It has to be Karen Hardy. The former pro dancer who won with Mark Ramprakash in 2006 has choreographical know how second to none, as viewers of It Takes Two are only too well aware.

I doubt they'll tell us until nearer the series launch in September, but if it's not Karen, I'll be very disappointed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails